Jan 4th, 2022
The aerospace industry has driven the high-reliability design in the center focus. Juan Frias, our guest for today, is a very experienced PCB designer who has designed for Aerospace, Military, Industrial, Semiconductor, Communications, Medical, and Automotive; he will be sharing the tips for a successful design for manufacturability. We will also tackle Flex and Rigid-Flex design. This conversation will be fun and insightful, so watch through the end and make sure to check the additional resources below.
- High-Reliability Design WITH Manufacturing, how did the Aerospace industry influence this focus?
- The advantages of working closely with the manufacturing team
- Focus on improving the design process and eliminating back and forth communication and miscommunications
- Understanding what will work BEST for your manufacturer
- Working with flex and rigid-flex designs
- Space savers
- Reliability and stability advantages
- Choosing between flex versus a rigid-flex board, what are the considerations?
- Can you use BGA on Flex?
- How does the manufacturer influence the material selection
- Board-spin on existing design–the systemized process of ordering materials that are running low
- The design preparation process for fabrication
- What do designers need to know about stiffener
- The importance of creating a prototype to save time and money
- PCB Validation, test and Inspections, who does what?
- Typically the customers are the only ones who can do a test with the product because they have the entire system on their end
- PCB designers perform the electrical tests and control impedance lines
- Identifying a good designer to do business with–-local vs. overseas
- See you at the AltiumLive 2022. Register here
Links and Resources:
AltiumLive 2022 Connect: Now open for registration
E-Book: Navigating PCB Manufacturing: Part 1
Three Common PCB Design Mistakes You Can Spot in Your Gerbers
How to Successfully Design a BGA
Connect with Zach Peterson on LinkedIn
Watch Zach’s latest Altium Academy courses on Youtube
Read Zach’s articles on Altium’s resource hub