Mar 9th, 2021
More than 15 million components to choose from to design your board, where do you begin?
Today’s guest is John Watson, a seasoned PCB designer with 40 years of experience in the electronic industry and now Altium’s Customer Success Manager. He will talk about everything you need to know about library management and how you can successfully keep it organized and functional for your PCB design needs.
- John Watson, 40 Years in Electronics, 22 Years in PCB Design, 5+Years PCB Design Manager for a global team of 65 Design Engineers
- What is Data Management and who are the stakeholders that use it?
- It’s the management of part data throughout the entire process of PCB design and manufacturing.
- Part Choices (Electrical Engineers-Circuit Designers, Schematic)
- MCAD (Mechanical Engineers)
- Procurement (Purchasing and Material Management)
- EMS Supplier (Suppliers)
- Recent data management webinar: Office Hours - Component and Data Management , Part Two: Follow up session and Homework
- Octopart part numbers: 15.1 Million!!
- “Eating the Elephant” Start with the item right in front of you. Full explanation on webinar
- Cost of doing it wrong, or benefit for doing it right: Time, Money, Delays, TTM, safety, job security
- The importance of accurate footprints, pin #1, orientation
- How do you stay ahead of component supply chain issues such as end of life, obsolescence, and shortages?
Tools that help: Active BOM, Octopart, IHS, Concord Pro
Links and Resources: